You will find that those in construction will often use plywood as a material in many different projects because it has so many good qualities. While plywood has many benefits, there are also a few drawbacks to consider. Those in construction need to ensure that they are using suitable materials for the right applications.
What is Plywood?
So, what exactly is plywood? This is an engineered material consisting of many layers of wood that are glued together. This means that whilst plywood is an engineered material, it has a natural appearance and the characteristics of wood. There are also different types of plywood, and plywood has widespread use in house construction.
- Lightweight: One of the critical benefits of plywood is that it is lightweight, especially when compared to regular wood. This means that it is easy to use in projects and can be used in many different ways.
- Strong material: Plywood is also a very strong material, including high tensile strength despite being lightweight. Plywood can withstand heavy pressure, so it is used in many aspects of home construction.
- Humid resistant: Another significant benefit of plywood is its resistance to humidity. It can be used in the bathroom, kitchen, and other areas with high humidity levels.
Hard to cut and mould: While plywood’s strength is a plus, it does also mean that this is a material that is not particularly easy to cut and mould.
- Can Be Expensive: Plywood can also be expensive as a construction material, so it is not always ideal if working to a tight budget.
- Needs to be Finished: Although plywood provides an attractive, natural look, you will find that it needs to be finished due to the layering pattern on the edges, and it may require sanding.
Best Applications For Plywood
- Kitchen: Plywood is perfect for the kitchen because it is robust, lightweight and resistant to humidity and moisture.
- Bathroom: For the same reasons, plywood is an excellent material to use in the bathroom, and it will retain its strength even due to exposure to steam from the shower/bath.
- Furniture: Plywood is a good material for furniture because it is lightweight, strong, and durable.
- Roofing: Many construction workers use plywood as a frame for roofing because it is strong, lightweight and durable.
Plywood is a material that is used heavily in construction, and it is easy to see why. This engineered material has many desirable qualities, especially when it comes to its strength, resistance to humidity and appearance. This means that it is used in many different projects and areas of the home and is often the preferred material of choice when available.