As time passes, the roof of the house gets subjected to go through various kinds of adverse weather conditions resulting into wear and tear of the same. No matter how strong it is, the damage it has been through must be addressed as soon as possible.
Persistent usage can lead to a lot of problems in the long run; however, Roof repairs would go a long way in extending the longevity of the house. Although you can call the professionals to do the job, there are certain tips that can be deployed to fix the leaking roof using DIY techniques. They are as follows:
Identifying the leaks:
- You should check the roof stains uphill to get the desired results. They are one of the primary causes of roof leakage and would do more harm than good to the raw materials involved for the process.
- Stains penetrates inside leading to water leakage even on the roof with uninterrupted shingles. Plumbing, chimneys or dormers are prone to seepage due to water.
- People with attic access can use the torch or search light to find the source of the problem. It can be either water stain, black mark or the creeping mold. You may face problems in the home with vaunted ceiling as access is not an easy job.
A wonderful trick:
- One of the most important tricks is to find a helper and climb the roof with a garden hose. You should start low and soak the area with leaks. It is vital to isolate the area or else you may not be able to find out the source.
- One should start with by soaking the downhill side of the chimneys from both sides. The helper should wait for the drops to fall on the floor inside the house. The process is cumbersome; however, it is one of the best ways to find the source of the issue.
- Once the suspected area is found, you need to remove the shingles and focus on the exact location. In fact, you may notice damaged wood or discolored paper right at the leakage spot. It will go a long way in resolving the problem in the best possible manner.
- After finding the issue, it is important to check if the plastic vapor barrier exists between the dry wall and the attic insulation. Once it is located, analyze the stains by pushing it on the other side.
- There are incidents when water runs in to the openings of the vapor barrier. If the stain is small, you should look under the roof to locate the problem. One of the most important methods is to locate the nail joining the roof sheathing to the rafters. Moisture escaping from the attic gets condensed on the nails and creates problems for the users.
- One of the best ways is to fix the plumbing vent boots that can be plastic or metallic. The former can crack while the latter may display broken seams; therefore, it is important to replace the old one with the new ones.
- If the nails are lost and the boots are in good shape, it is vital to buy the new types of weathered screw. They are bound to last for a very long time.
- In addition, one should also fix the roof repairs vents whether they are made of plastic or metal. In fact, using caulk is only a temporary solution. Hence, one should replace the damaged vents from the ground up to get the best possible solution.
- Loose and worn out nails can be removed in an easy and hassle-free manner without removing shingles.