Nothing is more beautiful than a clean and well-scented house. Your home is a place where you spend most of your time when you are back from a hectic day, and if your home smells bad, then you can’t fully relax.
If you need help keeping your home fragrant, then you have come to the right place. This article consists of ten easy yet brilliant ideas to make your home smell good. These are:
1. Minimize the Odor of Your Pets
Our pets are the source of joy, but the smell of their litter is unbearable. To keep your home fragrant, the first thing you should do is to minimize the odour of pets. Here is how you can do so:
- Always clean your pet’s food bowl before it starts to smell.
- Empty your pet’s litter at least once every day. Place the litter in an outdoor area, so it doesn’t spread the strong smell of defecation inside your home. If you don’t have an outdoor space, then clean the litter as soon as your pet uses it. Always put the litter in a plastic bag and airtight it to prevent smells. If you are environmentally conscious, then flush the used litter.
- Immediately clean your carpet if your pet has peed on it – carpet soak up the urine, and if not cleaned immediately, they start giving a really strong odour. Therefore, make Carpet Cleaning your priority to keep your home smelling fresh.
- Use a pet deodorizer. You can easily get a pet deodorizer on the shelves of any grocery store. You can even make one at home.
How to make a pet deodorizer at home?
You need a spray bottle and the following ingredients:
- Two cups distilled water.
- Three tablespoon alcohol.
- Few drops of any essential oil of your choice.
2. Keep the Drainage System Clean
The drainage system of your washrooms and kitchen can be one of the lead causes behind a bad odour. You can adopt two ways to clean your drainage system. Either use white vinegar and baking soda to clean the clogged pipes. Secondly, flowing citric acid or bleach through the disposal pipes can also be a good option. Moreover, keep the kitchen garbage out of your home. The best way is to allocate a place for kitchen garbage in your backyard.
3. Scented Candles and Candled Warmers
Candles are a cost-effective yet excellent way to make your home smell amazing. If you do not have kids or pets, you can use scented candles to spread good fragrance all over. The other option is to consider candle warmers. These are much safer than actual candles, and they don’t cause harm if you forget to blow them out. The candle warmers also retain their fragrance for a long time because the wax is reheated rather than burnt.
There are a plethora of options in the category of candle warmers; you can choose according to your preference. The most common options are pumpkin pie, sweet vanilla, or fresh linen. The candle warmers are easily available at any of the leading grocery stores, including Target.
4. Essential Oil Diffusers
Diffusers that contain essential oils are in fashion these days. A diffuser is a device that is used to disperse essential oils into the surrounding air. It is easy to use – all you have to do is to fill water in your diffuser and put just a few drops of your favourite scent, turn it on, and your home will smell good for hours.
The choice of scent depends on your personal preference – you may choose rosemary, lavender, and lemon, or you can also mix different oils to create your own smell. Coconut – verbena, lavender – lemon, and vanilla – caramel is my favourites.
5. Use Scented Cleaners
Using scented cleaners and disinfects could be a good option to keep your home smelling good. There is a wide variety of scented cleaners in the market, and that would leave a fresh scent after every cleaning.
6. Use Scented Air Fresheners
Keep a scented air freshener in your home and use it often, especially after cleaning. The scented cleaners and air fresheners are being flooded with many options than in past years. You can also make one at home.
Take a spray bottle and mix the following ingredients;
- One tablespoon baking soda
- a few drops of essential oil you like
- 12 ounces of distilled water
7. Decorate Your Home with Flowers and Plants
Decorating your home with fresh flowers and indoor plants would not only give a good smell to your home, but it would make your dwelling a livelier place. Fresh flowers and plants are also a good way to bring mesmerizing fragrance to your room. You can pick from jasmine, hyacinth, gardenia, or a lemon tree- the most selling ones.
8. Stovetop Potpourri
Stovetop Potpourri is another great idea for adding sweet-smelling scents in your home. Here is what you do:
- Take a pot with water.
- Now add slices of a lemon, an apple, rinds of orange, cinnamon, cloves, and any of other herbs and seethe on low heat.
- The heat will diffuse the beautiful scent of these ingredients. The selection of mixed fruits and herbs depends on your choice.
This way of making your home scented is not limited to any specific occasion or parties only. You can do it at any time.
9. Clean Your Washing Machine Regularly
One of the stinkiest smells in your home can come from the washing machine if it is not properly cleaned. Please take out the washed clothes immediately and hang them outdoors to dry.
10. Let the Fresh Air In
Last but not least, you are advised to open the windows of your home so that the fresh air can get in. Natural ventilation is good to keep indoors fresh. The air coming from outside not only makes your home airy and scented but also leaves a good impact on your health.
Keeping your home clean and smelling good not only leaves a good first impression on your guests but also makes you enjoy every moment that is spent indoors. If you are fond of keeping your home well-scented, this is not difficult at all. Keep the tips mentioned above in your mind to keep your home fragrant.