How to Notify Your Tenant to Move Out – A Comprehensive Guide

As a landlord, there may come a time when you need to notify your tenant to move out of your property. While this can be a sensitive issue, it is important to follow the proper legal procedures to ensure a smooth transition. In this article, we will outline the steps you should take to effectively communicate with your tenant and legally request them to vacate the premises.

Free Section-21 Eviction Notice Template


Understand the Tenancy Agreement:

Before taking any action, thoroughly review the tenancy agreement signed between you and your tenant. Familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions, including the notice period required for termination. The agreement should outline the circumstances under which you can ask the tenant to leave.

Grounds for Termination

In the UK, there are specific grounds for requesting a tenant to vacate the property. These grounds can vary depending on the type of tenancy agreement in place. Some common reasons include:

  • Fixed-Term Tenancy: If the fixed term has come to an end, you can serve a Section 21 notice, also known as a “no-fault eviction” notice. This provides the tenant with at least two months’ notice to vacate the property.
  • Periodic Tenancy: For periodic tenancies, you can serve a Section 21 notice or a Section 8 notice, which is used when the tenant has breached the terms of the tenancy agreement.
  • Breach of Tenancy Agreement: If the tenant has violated the terms of the agreement, such as non-payment of rent or causing significant damage to the property, you may be able to serve a Section 8 notice.

Choose the Appropriate Notice

Select the correct notice based on the grounds for termination. The notice should be in writing and include essential details such as the tenant’s name, address, and the reason for termination. Make sure to comply with the specific legal requirements and use the correct form or template for the notice.

Serve the Notice Properly

It is crucial to serve the notice correctly to ensure its validity. You can deliver the notice by hand, send it through certified mail, or use a professional process server. Keep records of the delivery method and date, as this information may be required later.

Allow Sufficient Notice Period

The notice period required depends on the type of tenancy and the grounds for termination. For Section 21 notices, provide a minimum of two months’ notice. Section 8 notices typically require a shorter notice period, but it can vary depending on the breach. Ensure you comply with the legal requirements regarding notice periods to avoid complications.

Seek Legal Advice if Necessary

If you encounter any difficulties during the process, it is advisable to consult with a legal professional who specializes in landlord-tenant matters. They can provide guidance and ensure you follow the correct legal procedures, minimizing the risk of potential disputes.

Free Section-21 Eviction Notice Template


What Happens If Your Tenant Refuses to Leave?

While most landlord-tenant relationships proceed smoothly, there may be instances where a tenant refuses to vacate the property even after receiving a proper notice to move out. As a landlord, it is essential to be aware of the legal steps you can take in such situations.

  1. Mediation and Negotiation: Before resorting to legal measures, consider attempting mediation or negotiation to resolve the issue amicably. Open communication and understanding may help address any concerns or disputes that have arisen. Engage in a conversation with your tenant to determine the reasons behind their refusal and explore possible solutions that could satisfy both parties.
  2. Seek Legal Advice: If the tenant remains unwilling to vacate the property, it is crucial to consult with a legal professional experienced in landlord-tenant matters. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation and help you understand the legal options available to you.
  3. Court Proceedings: If negotiation fails and your tenant continues to occupy the property unlawfully, you may need to initiate legal proceedings. The process typically involves the following steps:a. Serving a Possession Notice: Depending on the circumstances, you may need to serve a Possession Notice, such as a Section 8 or Section 21 notice, as appropriate. This formal notice will inform the tenant that legal action will be taken if they do not vacate the property within the specified timeframe.b. Filing a Possession Claim: If the tenant does not comply with the Possession Notice, you can initiate court proceedings by filing a Possession Claim. This involves completing the necessary forms, paying the required fees, and providing evidence supporting your case.c. Court Hearing: Once the Possession Claim is filed, a court hearing will be scheduled. Both parties will have an opportunity to present their arguments, and the judge will make a decision based on the evidence provided.d. Warrant for Possession: If the court rules in your favour, a warrant for possession will be issued. This document authorizes bailiffs to remove the tenant from the property if they still refuse to leave voluntarily.
  4. Engaging Bailiffs: If the tenant remains in the property despite the court’s decision, you can request the services of bailiffs. They will coordinate with you and the court to enforce the warrant for possession, physically removing the tenant and their belongings from the premises.
  5. Collecting Unpaid Rent and Damages: If the tenant owes rent or has caused damage to the property, you can pursue legal action to recover these losses. This may involve obtaining a money judgment against the tenant and using various methods to enforce the judgment, such as wage garnishment or seizing assets.



Notifying a tenant to move out is a significant step in the landlord-tenant relationship. By understanding the grounds for termination, following the appropriate legal procedures, and communicating effectively with your tenant, you can navigate this process smoothly. Remember to always act in accordance with the law and seek professional advice if needed, to protect your rights and maintain a positive landlord-tenant relationship.